Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Good Week: Part 1

Today marks the end of a good week.  "But it's only Thursday," you say.  The kids and I had a marathon week of vacation Bible school at church.  Today was the last day of the program, so for me, it's the end of the week.  I've been way too busy living to blog, so now that it's over, I'll be recapping in parts. 


We hosted about 300 kids and had over 100 volunteers.  I was the registration coordinator, which means that if it required paper and was not a decoration, I was in charge of it.  I created kid tags, parent pick-up tags, volunteer tags, daily newsletters, promotional materials, rotation schedules, crew lists, crew signs, group counts, emergency contact lists, three versions of family packets, allergy letters, allergy tags, and food allergy lists.  I assigned kids to groups based on age, friend requests, special needs, and crew leader requests.  I consulted yearbooks to try to avoid creating cliques.  I contacted parents about special needs assignments, allergies, missing registration information and more.  Thankfully most kids were pre-registered, and we only had 25 walk-ins.  Did I mention this was my first year in this role?  My predecessor, who was unavailable this year, is highly-organized and is also a talented writer and graphic designer.  She left big shoes to fill.  She also left a CD with lots of templates and material from previous years. Somehow, I think I pulled it off.

Superman Prayer
After the first day, it was pretty enjoyable to be the registration coordinator because the hard work was already done before the program.  I got to spend a considerable amount of time running around shooting photos of my kids and of other kids for the program's final slide show.


Tomorrow, it's back to "work" for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Gretchen - you did an amazing job - so thankful to you for stepping in and making a huge difference - couldn't have done it without you! Thanks for using your gifts - they were put to great use this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job. Thanks for all your had work! The show couldn't have gone on without it.

    ReplyDelete