Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day Off Musings

I'm so happy to write that I am at the start of a four-day weekend {for both the kids and me}!  For the last few days, people keep asking me, What are you going to do?  Really?  It's a no brainer for me.  Nothing!  Just be home with my three kids.  Maybe take on a few housecleaning projects.  Play some games, blog, whatever!  That's right.  It's MEA, and it's the first time that I've been home with the kids for the whole MEA weekend.  We don't have to be anywhere or do anything, and that is such freedom.  {I did get an emergency phone call from work already this morning, but it was just a quick ten-minute consult, and everyone was back on their merry way again.}

Yesterday on the way home from school, Ehren reported to me:  It's going to freeze tonight.  My teacher said so.  So we picked all peppers and tomatoes, and lo and behold, this morning, there was ice on our patio table.


Amazingly {again}, our pepper garden, which is just below the frozen patio table on our deck, did not freeze.  This is the second frost we've had, and everything but our pepper and tomato gardens froze.  The rocks around them must heat up during the day and then radiate heat at night, or maybe it's the shelter of the nearby house.  I don't know, but they're still hanging in.



In case you were wondering, yes, those are unpicked habanero peppers in the picture.  They are all Dan's.  I have nothing to do with that section of our garden.  Speaking of Dan, he shot two grouse on his first afternoon hunting yesterday.   Soon we'll be having grouse wild rice soup.  Well, off to enjoy the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment