Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Desperate for Green

Ah what I won't do for a little bit of fresh, green goodness during a Minnesota winter... like potting fresh grocery store herbs meant to be eaten.  Yes, my friends, these were spendy bedding plants.




I bought these large white ceramic pots from Ikea for $2.99 each (the same price as those ridiculous herbs).


Then off I went to the shore of our backyard pond to scrape up a few shovelfuls of pea gravel from under the snow.  Are you picturing me out there, scraping in the snow, suburban neighbors wondering if maybe I need one of these sun lamps for S.A.D. (maybe I do)?   After my snowy trek, I lined the bottom of the pots with the rock for drainage.


I lucked out and found one proper basil plant in the floral section of my local grocery store.  What a beauty.  Now I'm just hoping these little guys will survive, especially the thyme, so I can use it for my broccoli soup!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm just finding your blog through another one...and I'm impressed with your garden! We have our first garden this year, and it's been infested w/ pickleworms and aphids. I don't want to use pesticides, but we're getting hardly any produce! I'm going to follow you, b/c you look like you know what you're doing! Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the visit! I need to get back blogging again! Thankfully we have not had had a lot of pests (other than rabbits - and a fence fixes that problem). We recently got six hens, so if I had any type of insect problem today, I'd let the hens loose on them!

      Delete