Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lunch Box Superfood

Hot lunch is served only once a week at my kids' school, so I'm always working to dream up easy, nutritious lunch ideas that they'll eat.  One of my favorite lunches is a chicken salad packed with protein, fruit and veggies.  It's like a meal-in-one for lunch!  Let's break it down.

Ingredients

3 ribs of celery
1 large apple or 2 small apples
handful of baby spinach
handful of craisins
handful of slivered almonds
canned chicken breast (12.5 oz) or leftover cooked chicken (chopped)
1/2 cup mayonaise


One of the kitchen gadgets I value most is our apple slicer.  We use it all the time, so much in fact, that this is my third one.  I've broken inexpensive ones and expensive ones alike, so now I just buy the economy model. One of these days, I'll find an uncrackable, all-metal model at a garage sale.  I buy organic apples and leave the peeling on because that's where the majority of the nutrients are. 


Slice the apple, celery and spinach.  I buy the jumbo box of organic baby spinach from Costco, and I sneak its green goodness into recipes as often as I can.  To slice the baby spinach, roll the leaves like you're rolling a cigar and cut the rolled bundle into thin ribbons.


In a mixing bowl, shred the chicken with a fork.   Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.


For lunch boxes, spoon into thermal containers and refrigerate overnight. 


Or simply serve it up and enjoy immediately!

1 comment:

  1. Using your recipe, I made it for our lunches this week. I'm having it right now! Num! Num! Great recipe and I already had everything on hand!!! This will be even better this summer when the apples are more crisp and satisfying!!! Looking forward to more of your lunch box ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete