Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Recess!

When I awoke this morning, the thermometer read 0 degrees.  I thought to myself, "You picked a great one for your first day as parent recess volunteer at school."  By the time noon rolled around, the temperature was up to 15 degrees, and it was one of those bright, sunny, blue sky winter days that make me love winter in Minnesota.  Recess is glorious!  I forgot just how fun it used to be.  What could be better than sledding on a sunny winter day with 50 of your friends?

Earlier in the month, when I told the boys I was going to be a recess volunteer, they were so excited.  But when I got there, it was all about recess, not mom.  They said "hi" while running past me.  However, at the end of recess, I did get two funny tidbits to share. 

Earlier in the week, Christian and I filled out his "Star of the Week" questionaire.  One of the questions asked, "What is your favorite color?"  When he answered, "Pink," I said, "That's kind of a girly color.  I think the kids will laugh at you.  Do you really want to say 'pink'?"  He answered, "Mom, I'll tell you if anyone laughs."  Today, on the way in from recess, he stopped and said, "Mom, a few kids laughed."  It took me a few seconds to realize what he was talking about.  He was totally cool about it, and said the kids weren't really laughing at him, they just thought it was funny.  He definitely has a mind of his own.

My other funny moment was observing Christian and his good friend, who happens to be a girl, as they stood in line waiting to go back inside school.  They were quietly talking to one another, when I saw her reach out and start smoothing Christian's hair.  Christian has poor personal space boundaries, and much earlier in the year, the situation was reversed during the children's sermon at church.  Christian was sitting by the same friend (crowding her) and then he reached up to touch her shiny blond hair.  She looked so irritated, I thought flames might start shooting out of her eyes (not that I could blame her because I would have felt the same way).

No comments:

Post a Comment